Tomato is an excellent source of vitamins A and C, two nutrients important for good health.
Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 can whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3 Tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil and chives
- 3 cups homemade vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a deep saucepan, add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, sugar and thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the flour and bring to a simmer while stirring the mixture to make sure that the flour is not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Discard the thyme sprig.
- Let cool briefly and then purée the soup (blender or food processor).
- Rinse the pot and return the soup to the pot.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm but not hot, garnished with the herbs.