This is a modification of the Shepherd’s pie or cottage pie -a meat pie with a crust of mashed potato. In the US, the dish can vary widely, whether as a home recipe or a standard menu item in an Irish pub.
Sweet Potato and Turkey Pie
- 2 can (11 oz) sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 cups cooked turkey, chopped
- 1 can (11 oz) mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup mushrooms (chopped fine)
- 10 ounces frozen green beans
- table salt and black ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp canned fried onion rings crushed
- 8 ounces cranberry sauce optional
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- In medium bowl blend sweet potatoes, olive oil and pumpkin pie spice until smooth.
- Lightly spray the pay plate with vegetable cooking spray and line with potato mixture to form a pie shell; set aside.
- In medium bowl combine the soup, beans, turkey, mushrooms, salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into prepared shell. Sprinkle onions over top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve with cranberry sauce, if desired.