Experience this tasty soup with healthy vegetables, and loaded with spices. Thanks to the fresh ginger and cumin it has a wonderful flavor.
Spicy Tomato Soup
- 2 (850 g) cans whole tomatoes in juice
- 1 fresh jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped (2 1/4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- Place 1 can tomatoes in a food processor. Drain the next can tomatoes, discarding juice, and add to the food processor. Pulse until puree.
- Add the oil to a heavy cast iron pot and heat over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and chili and cook until onion becomes tender about 5-6 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the cumin, give a stir and then add the pureed tomatoes, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 2 teaspoons salt.
- Finally pour in the broth, and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Blend the soup in batches in a blender until smooth and then pass through a sieve, into a pot, discarding seeds.
- Add sugar and salt to taste, stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes, until heated through.
- Serve warm.