A bowl of warm chickpea soup is delicious anytime, but perfect for a cold winter night.
Spicy Chickpea Soup
- 2 (550 g ) cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 (390 g) can light coconut milk
- 1 (410 g) can whole tomatoes, drained, chopped
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain the chickpeas and place in a food processor followed by the chopped tomatoes, cilantro leaves, coconut milk, ground ginger, apple juice and garam masala and pulse until smooth and creamy consistency is achieved.
- Pour the mixture into a medium saucepan, add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Transfer the puree to a medium saucepan. Stir in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Season with salt and black pepper to taste .
- Serve the soup topped with a dollop of yogurt and garnished with chopped green onions.