Looking for a quick bread recipe? Combine all ingredients in a bowl and you’ll enjoy the
aroma and taste of freshly baked bread in less than an hour.
- 170g self-raising whole meal flour
- 170g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 290ml/½ pint buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Combine the flours, soda and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and gradually pour in the buttermilk. Using your hands mix the mixture until soft dough forms.
- Transfer it onto your work surface, coated with flour and knead into a ball. Pat the dough into a circle and place on a baking sheet, sprinkled with flour.
- Using a knife, cut a cross in the center and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, until golden and firm to the touch. Let it cool.