The heart-healthy benefits of eggplant don’t end with limiting cholesterol. The wonderful benefits of eggplants are primarily derived from its vitamin, mineral, and nutrient content (vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, thiamin, niacin, magnesium, phosphorous, copper, dietary fiber…etc.).
- 2 large eggplants
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 hot pepper, stemmed, seeded, and roughly chopped
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pinches salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Grill eggplants, turning, until charred and soft, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Peel eggplants; scoop out seeds. Chop eggplants; drain in strainer for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 cup oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers; cook for 10 minutes. Add hot pepper and continue cooking until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl of food processor along with reserved eggplant, remaining oil, parsley, vinegar, and garlic. Process until slightly chunky.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with pita, vegetables or meat.