Do not hesitate to try this easy-to-follow recipe for cheese croquettes. It is simply irresistible!
Rustic Cheese Croquettes
- 1 ½ cup skim milk
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 1 cup white cheese
- Egg and breadcrumbs to coat
- ½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and nutmeg to taste
- Heat the milk in a saucepan or in the microwave. Set aside. (This step is not necessary, so you can use cold or room temperature milk.)
- Chop the onion very thin and put in an already heated pan with butter and one tablespoon of oil. Sauté over low until translucent, about two minutes.
- Turn heat up to and add the flour, stir and leave for a couple of minutes to brown.
- Add the milk gradually while constantly stirring with a whisk or a wooden spoon to avoid lumps.
- Add the eggs and chopped cheese, and add salt and nutmeg to taste, add.
- Put it in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let cool.
- When cooled, spoon the dough and make croquette forms with your hands.
- Roll each croquette in the flour, egg and breadcrumbs.
- In a skillet with enough hot oil or in a fryer, fry the croquettes until brown on both sides.Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and serve.