Treat your family to this healthy pea soup, It is incredibly simple to cook with a few ingredients, but the taste is gourmet.
Russian Pea Soup
- 450 g smoked pork ribs
- 2 cups dry peas
- 5-6 medium potatoes
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 60 g (2 slices) bacon
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 small bunch parsley
- 1 small bunch dill
- Salt to taste
- Soak the peas in cold water for alt least 4 hours or overnight.
- Cut the ribs into pieces and place in a large pot. Pour in 10-12 cups water and cook for 1-1.5 hours, until the meat can be easily separated from bones. Remove meat from the pot and cut into small pieces.
- Add the peas and cook for 30 minutes. Add the cubed potatoes and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onions and carrots and cook for 4-5 minutes until light golden. Add to the soup. Place the meat back in the soup and let it cook for another 10 minutes.
- Finally, stir in the mustard, crushed garlic, sliced bacon and chopped fresh herbs and cook for 3 minutes. Let the soup stand for 25 minutes, covered, and serve.