Porrusalda is a typical dish of Basque Country and Navarra. The Basque country is just one of those great Spanish regions that always produces very tasty dishes, and porrusalda is no exception. It has a vegetable base, mainly the white parts of leeks (in fact purrusalda means “leek broth” in Euskera).
- 5.30 oz cod fillets
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes
- 12 large leeks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- Table salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Soak the salt cod in cold water for 24 hours, changing the water at least three times.
- Heat water in a deep pan, wash and cut the leeks into large pieces (including the green leaves) and cook in the water for one hour with the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Half way through the cooking process, add the potatoes and the cod broken into pieces and the olive oil.
- Remove the bay leaf when the dish is cooked.
- Porrusalda can also be made without cod.