Barley is a great alternative to rice. It has a high nutritional content and a nutty, earthy flavor that works great in soups, as well as in stews or salads.
Persian Barley Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked barley, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- Salt, pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a stock pot. Tip in the onion and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes then add the barley, turmeric and cumin.
- Sauté for another 2 minutes then stir in the chopped tomatoes and carrots.
- Pour in the stock then season with salt and pepper and cook for 20-30 minutes on low heat.
- When done, remove from heat and stir in the chopped parsley.
- Serve the soup warm.