Parsnips give an earthy dimension to this savory thyme and Parmesan bread.
Parsnip Thyme And Parmesan Loaf
- 1 Tbs sunflower oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 4 Tbs Parmesan, or strong Cheddar, finely grated
- 1 cup grated parsnip
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbs whole milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 360F.
- In a non-stick frying pan heat the oil. Add chopped onion and cook for about 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, thyme, cheese, grated parsnip, salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Add the onion, followed by the egg and two tablespoons milk; mix to form a soft dough.
- Kneed all together; shape into a round and place on an oiled baking sheet.
- Bake in oven 40-45 minutes.
- Stick a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, your bread is done!
- Lrt cool for a few minutes on a wire rack, then slice and serve while still warm.