This exotic warm and aromatic Moroccan dish will delight your dinner guests.
Moroccan Chicken and Almond Tagine
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tbs garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs ginger, grated
- 1 lb chicken breast, diced
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 chicken or vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 Tbs red chile paste
- 1 1 Tbs honey (optional)
- ? cup raisins
- ? cup dried apricots, chopped
- ? cup slivered almonds
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups butternut squash (or sweet potatoes or pumpkin), peeled
- Salt to taste
- Extra slivered almonds for garnishing
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying skillet.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken, turmeric, coriander, cumin, and cinnamon, stir to combine, and saute 8 to 12 minutes.
- Add the water, bouillon cubes, chickpeas, harissa, honey, raisins, almonds, and preserved lemon. Stir to combine. Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash, return to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for another 25 minutes.
- Garnish with some slivered almonds and serve with the couscous.