Most of us have hard times persuading the kids to eat a spoon of soup or puree. Be sure, kids will ask you for more of this mashed potatoes with split peas.
Mashed Potatoes with Split Peas
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2/3 cup dry yellow split peas
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sort out your split peas and rinse with cold water.
- Place in a medium pot, pour in about 2 cups cold water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook for about 40 minutes until tender, reserving the cooking liquid. Meanwhile cook the potatoes until tender.
- Using a hand blender, puree the cooked peas adding some cooking liquid as needed. Add the cooked potatoes and mash well until smooth.
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender and translucent. Season with black pepper and nutmeg.
- Add to the puree and mix well to combine. Serve warm as a side dish or a vegan main dish.