Make this delicious and refreshing mandarin and poppy seed cake, and surprise your family and the guests.
Mandarin Poppy Seed Loaf
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 Tbs creme fraîche
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 3 Tbs corn flour
- 2 Tbs poppy seeds
- 4 mandarins, zest
- 1/2 cup mandarin juice
- For the icing
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 3/4 cup creme fraîche
- zest of 2 mandarins
- Butter for greasing
- poppy seeds for sprinkling
- Heat the oven to 320F.
- Grease a 2lb loaf tin. Line the base and ends with a long strip of baking paper.
- In a bowl, beat the butter, creme fraîche, sugar and vanilla extract until pale and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl whisk in the eggs, adding slowly the flour, poppy seeds, zest and juice.
- Combine the butter mixture with the egg mixture and stir well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for one hour about.
- Let cool the cake for half an hour in the tin.
- Meanwhile, make the icing – in a bowl, beat together the butter, icing sugar and creme fraîche until pale and fluffy. Add half the mandarin zest and beat just a couple of times to incorporate, then cover and leave in the fridge to chill until the icing is firm enough to spread.
- Spread the icing all over the cake, snip off the corner and pipe thick stripes over the top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining mandarin zest and sprinkle with more poppy seeds.
- Serve and enjoy!