This is a quick and tasty way to prepare pasta and treat your guests. They will appreciate your efforts.
- 1 (250 g) packages macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded good quality
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, buttered
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place the macaroni in a pot of boiling eater and cook following package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Combine the flour with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Stir well to avoid forming lumps.
- Gradually add the milk and cream and let it cook for about 3 minutes over medium high heat. When it begins to boil, reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cheddar in batches and cook for 4-5 , stirring constantly, until the cheese has melted. Remove from the heat. Fold in the cooked macaroni and mix well to coat.
- Place the macaroni in a baking dish, coated with cooking oil or butter , sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the top turns light golden brown.