This is a mouth-watering dish that tastes like it came straight from a five-star restaurant! It can be served alone as a healthy dinner or with cooked rice as a side dish.
Liver and Sultana Casserole
- 500 g chicken livers
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 150 g rice
- 100 g sultanas
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs(rosemary, thyme, sage)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 egg
- 500 ml milk
- ¼ Savoy cabbage, sliced
- Add the oil, onions and garlic to a frying pan and set over medium heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Rinse the liver and add to the pan, sauté with onions for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once onions are tender, stir in the sultanas, rice and herbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk and egg and pour over the rice mixture. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer.
- After 20 minutes, fold in the sliced cabbage and cook until the rice has softened. You may add a little water, if the mixture has dried out.
- Enjoy with a dollop of cranberry sauce.