A very Delicious Indian dish let alone the benefits of spinach and lentils. A perfect treat for gourmands.
Lentil and Spinach Daal
- 1 onion
- 1 red chili or pinch of dried flakes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp cumin or turmeric, or a tsp each if you have them
- 100 g red split lentils
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 200 ml water
- 200 ml natural yogurt
- 130 g spinach, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Coriander, parsley or mint, to serve
- Add the oil to a skillet and set over medium heat.
- Add the finely chopped onions and chili and add the pan. Add for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the spices and crumbled stock cube and cook for another 2-3 minutes, over low heat, until the onions are tender.
- Rinse the lentils, add to the pan and saute for 2-3 minutes until the edges are lightly toasted.
- Pour in ½ cup water (100 ml) and cook until absorbed.
- Add the spinach and the remaining water and cook until the lentils are tender.
- Finally, add the yogurt, give a stir and remove from the heat. Serve garnished with fresh herbs and drizzled with little lemon juice.