This is a sweet dessert typical of Spain. It is made by cooking flour with milk and sugar until it thickens to a firm dough which is then portioned, fried and served with a sugar glaze and cinnamon powder.
La Leche Frita Dessert
- 2 1/4 cup milk
- Rind of 1 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 Tbs cornflour
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs
- olive oil
- 2 Tbs sugar for sprinkling
- Ground cinnamon
- Pour 1 1/2 cup milk into a pan with the lemon rind and the cinnamon stick. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Strain the milk and wipe the pan clean.
- Meanwhile, stir the corn-flour into the rest of the cold milk until smooth.
- Beat three eggs in a bowl with the sugar and stir in the corn-flour. Whisk in the hot milk and return the custard mixture to the pan. Cook until thick and smooth stirring constantly.
- Spread the custard mixture in an oiled dish and chill for several hours.
- Beat the remaining 2 eggs and place in a shallow dish. Put the flour and breadcrumbs in dishes.
- Cut the chilled custard into squares. Dip each piece into the flour, then into the beaten egg, and finally into the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy frying pan and fry the pieces of custard until browned on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Sprinkle the fried custard with sugar and ground cinnamon. Serve warm and enjoy!