Hoisin sauce is a thick, pungent sauce commonly used in Chinese cuisine as a glaze for meat, an addition to stir fries, or as dipping sauce. It is darkly colored in appearance and sweet and salty in taste.
Hoisin Duck Pizza
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1/2 Tbs yeast
- 1 1 cups warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- pinch of table salt
- 1 duck breast
- 3/4 cups Hoisin sauce ( flavorful Asian sauce made with sesame oil)
- 1 large red pepper, sliced
- 1 large yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus spears, halved
- 4 spring onions, diagonally sliced
- Spring onions finely sliced to garnish
- Preheat oven to 380F.
- Place the flour into a large mixing bowl.
- In a bowl, whisk together the yeast, sugar and warm water.
- Allow to stand in a warm place until mixture begin to foam.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the yeast mixture, add the egg yolk, oil and salt mixture together to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth. Return dough to the bowl, cover with cling wrap and place the bowl in a warm place until dough has doubled in size.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board and divide in half.
- Roll dough out to 3 -4 mm thick to fit baking trays. Place dough onto baking trays lined with baking paper to prevent sticking.
- Spread each pizza base sparingly with hoi sin sauce, top with sliced duck breast, chopped pepper, asparagus and spring onions.
- Bake pizza in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven, let cool; slice, garnish with chopped onions and serve.