All the colors and flavors in one soup. An absolutely incredible combination of dried beans, tomatoes and spices.
- 400g dried butter beans
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more to serve
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 800g ripe tomatoes, skinned, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to serve
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Soak the beans for at least 6 hours or overnight. Drain, rinse in cold water, place in a pot of fresh water and cook over medium-high heat.
- When it begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 50 minutes until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oven to 180C. Add the olive oil to a large skillet and set over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Stir in tomato purée, cook for a minute, and then add the chopped tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the beans, sugar, oregano and cinnamon, stir well and transfer the mixture into ovenproof dish.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hours, until the beans has softened and the mixture has thickened. Let it cool.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley, drizzle with a little fresh olive oil and serve.