Kitchen alchemy? It’s no legend, but unvarnished truth. Takes less than 30 minutes but stays in mind forever.
Fried Tilapia with Citrus Salsa
- 1 lemon, halved
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tilapia filets
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 lime juice
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 orange juice
- Place the coconut in a large frying pan and fry for about 3 minutes until light golden and fragrant. Remove from the heat and let it cool.
- Rub the tilapia with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Add the coconut oil to a large frying pan and set over medium-high heat. Once very hot, add the fish fillets and cook for 4-5 minutes, until the fish acquires golden crust.
- Gently turn the fish over with spatula to cook the other side. Top the fish with half of the toasted coconut. Once the fish is cooked through remove from the pan and transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle with the remaining coconut.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa by combining the red onion, tomato, pomegranate, lime juice, cilantro, orange juice and salt in a medium bowl.
- Top the fish with the prepared pomegranate salsa and serve