The combination of eggplant and spinach is delicious. This healthy dish can be served either as a side dish or as a snack spread over a slice of bread.
Eggplant Purée with Walnuts
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 - 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- ½ cup shelled walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp strained fresh lemon juice
- 1 - 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 220°).
- Wash the eggplants and drain. Using a fork, pierce the eggplants in several places.
- Place the eggplants on an ungreased baking dish and place in the oven. Bake for 20- 25 minutes, turning 1-2 times, until the skin is shriveled. Let them cool.
- Meanwhile, place the walnuts, garlic and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a blender and process until the mixture resembles a paste.
- Remove the stems and halve the eggplants lengthwise. Scrape out the pulp with a spoon, removing the seeds. Place the eggplant in a blender and pulse for 10 seconds.
- Add the vinegar, lemon juice and remaining olive oil, and process until well blended.
- Adjust seasonings to taste and enjoy.