A nice combination of beans and vegetables. This soup is a rich source of proteins and vitamins, so it can easily be incorporated into your healthy lifestyle.
Dried Broad Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 200 g dried broad beans
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1.5L chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 40g butter
- 1 handful fresh fava beans
- 3 spring onions with tops, chopped
- For the garnish
- ¼ cucumber, diced
- ½ preserved lemon, diced
- 1 tomato, seeds removed and diced
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- Place the beans in a pot of cold water and allow to sit for overnight. Drain in a colander and remove the skins.
- Add the olive oil to a large stock pot and set over medium heat.
- Add the leek, onion, dried beans and potato and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the cumin and paprika, give a stir to coat and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Finally, add the garlic and celery, pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and let the soup simmer until the beans are tender. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the butter, fava beans and season with salt and pepper. If the soup is too thick add some more stock or water. Serve the soup in a serving bowls, garnished with chopped red onion, spring onions and cucumber slices.