The combination of peas and spinach is an excellent combination of green colors and flavors. Coconut milk adds the creamy texture and mildly sweet flavor.
Green Coco-Peas Soup
- 2 cups chopped leeks
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp white basmati rice
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt; more to taste
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 4 cups vegetable broth (fat-free)
- 2 cups peas, shucked
- 4 cups coarsely chopped spinach leaves
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Basil leaves for garnish
- Soak the leeks in a bowl of cold water to remove any grit.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat; stir in the rice.
- Scoop the leeks from the water, shaking off excess, and add them to the pot along with the curry powder, salt, cilantro, and one cup of the stock or broth.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 12 min, so the rice is almost done.
- Add the remaining 3 cups stock or broth, the peas, and the spinach and bring to a boil. Boil for about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the coconut milk.
- In a blender or a food processor, purée the soup in batches until smooth.
- Adjust salt and white pepper and serve, garnished with fresh basil leaves.