An ideal way to eat beans which not only provide protein, but they are also rich in good carbohydrates. This burger with beans and carrots makes a perfect vegetarian lunch.
Carrot Cumin Kidney Bean Burger
- 1 large carrot
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 handful of coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 400g of canned red kidney beans
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 2 tbsp of flour
- Parsley leaves to garnish
- Place the beans into a colander and rinse with cold water. Drain and place in a saucepan. Cover with fresh cold water and cook until tender, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the grated carrot, chopped onion, coriander and cumin to a skillet, add little oil and cook over medium heat until carrots and onions soften.
- Drain the beans and add to the skillet. Using a potato masher, mash the mixture until puree. Add 1 tablespoon flour and mix well.
- Add the oil to a frying pan and set over medium heat.
- Dust your hands with flour and shape the mixture into small patties. Add to the hot pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown an both sides.
- Gently transfer the done cookies to a plate, garnish with fresh parsley leaves and serve.