Great blend of flavors. A tasty side dish going well with sauteed greens and mashed potatoes.
Bubble and Squeak Patties
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 rashers middle bacon, finely chopped
- 250g kent pumpkin, peeled, grated
- 2 cups Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 11/2 cups (about 275g) potato, cooked
- 3 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1 1/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 200 g Greek yogurt
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled, halved, thinly sliced
- 200 g grape tomatoes, halved
- 50 g baby rocket
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to a skillet and set over medium high heat. Thinly slice 3 onions and add to the oil along with pumpkin, bacon, and cabbage.
- Let them cook for 6-7 minutes, until the vegetables become tender.
- Fold in the cooked potatoes, season with curry powder and using a potato masher or a fork, mash the vegetables.
- Season with salt and pepper and let the mixture cool. Transfer to a bowl, add the egg and breadcrumbs and mix well to combine.
- Shape the mixture into 12 patties (about ¼ cup for each)
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in the skillet over medium heat.
- Place the patties in the hot oil and fry for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix the yogurt and the remaining green onion and season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber and rocket.
- Serve the patties warm with yogurt and fresh salad.