A healthy and delicious combination of kidney beans, garlic, walnuts and herbs. The addition of walnuts gives a pleasant crunch to the dish
Bean and Walnut Pate
- 1 cup dark red beans
- 3/4 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1/4 white onion, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups water
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp garlic, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp mint or basil leaves, freshly chopped
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley freshly chopped
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds, plus more for garnish
- Toasted walnuts, for garnish
- Soak the beans in a pot of cold water and let stand overnight. Drain. Pour in 3 cups of water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the bay leaf and let simmer over low heat until beans are tender. Drain reserving the cooking water.
- Transfer the beans to a food processor, add the walnuts, butter, garlic, onion, salt and pepper, a little of the reserved cooking liquid and pulse until smooth. Combine the parsley, cilantro and basil leaves and add half of them to the beans. Pulse for a few seconds until just combined.
- At this point you can shape the mixture into balls, chill and serve garnished with pomegranate seeds.
- To roll into logs, line a baking tray with plastic wrap and spread the prepared bean mixture onto it. Top with the remaining chopped herbs and pomegranate seeds and carefully roll into logs.
- Wrap them tightly in aluminum foil and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before slicing.
- Place the slices onto a serving plate, sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and serve.