Marinara sauce is an Italian sauce that originated in Naples, usually made with tomatoes, garlic, herbs, and onions. Its many variations can include the addition of capers, olives, spices, and a dash of wine.
Aromatic Marinara Sauce (Slow Cooker)
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 whole bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the onion into a small dice and mince the garlic. Place both in your Slow Cooker.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, bay leaves, basil, oregano, and freshly cracked pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Secure the lid on your Sow Cooker and cook on LOW for 8 hrs.
- Remove the lid, stir the sauce, and remove the bay leaves.
- Season with salt to taste. Serve with pasta or meat.