Courgette And Brie Gratin, 51p for 2 portions (26p each)
Still using up those courgettes…
1/2 courgette, 30p (£1.80 for 6)
1/2 onion, 3p (part of a 20pc vegetable selection, £1)
25g Brie, 14p (£1.09/200g)
75g Rice, 3p (40p/1kg)
1 Chicken or Vegetable stock cube, 1p (10p for 10)
Basil and Parsley, free (grow on my window ledge)
1. Dice the onion and add to a sauté pan with the rice. Add the chicken stock a little at a time, on a low heat, stirring frequently until absorbed. You may need to add more or less liquid, I find it varies slightly every time I do it!
2. Add the half carton of chopped tomatoes, and fresh torn basil and parsley leaves, and stir through. Remove from the heat.
3. Finely slice the courgette into 1mm slices.
4. Spoon the rice-and-tomato-and-onion mixture into two ovenproof dishes, ramekins, or bowls (I use two hardy soup bowls that I found in Oxfam, you may have seen them in other cooking photos on my blog!)
5. Dice the Brie into small pieces and scatter on the top.
6. Lay the courgette slices over the Brie so that they overlap, brush with a little oil (optional)
7. Cook in the oven at 180C for 15 minutes or until the courgette is cooked.
Make it posh variations:
1. Add grated Parmesan or hard cheese to the top.
2. Add pancetta cubes or 100g of chopped pieces of bacon (£1.08 for 670g) to the tomato and rice. Fry first in the sauté pan, then start from stage 1.
3. Add crushed garlic and lemon rind and juice for extra flavours.
I served mine with a chunk of home made garlic and herb bread…
Ms Jack Monroe. Twitter: @MsJackMonroe
*(All prices quoted are Sainsburys or Sainsburys Basics where available, correct at time of publication. Costs checked against ASDA SmartPrice, Tesco Value, Morrisons Value and Waitrose Essentials ranges. Some variation between supermarkets but most items widely available at similar prices.)
Tags: basics, below the line, Brie, budget recipes, cheap recipes, Courgette, dinner, essentials, Jack Monroe, live below the line, morrisons, Recipes, sainsburys, tesco, tomato, value, Vegetarian, waitrose